Volnay 2017 - Domaine Ami

100% secure payments
>Earn 7 points/€1.40 Earn 7 points/€1.40 (Each €10.00 spent = 1 point, 1 point = €0.20 discount)
Your cart will total 7 points that can be converted into a voucher of €1.40.
€65.90
Tax included
Quantity

Last items in stock

It comes from Pinot Noir grapes grown in Volnay, classified as Volnay AOC Village; here the vines rest on clayey-calcareous soils with deep soils belonging to the Batonian period. The 2017 vintage is considered by the producer to be rich, fruity, with a greedy and enveloping mouth.

Wine Description

It comes from Pinot Noir grapes grown in Volnay, classified as Volnay AOC Village; here the vines rest on clayey-calcareous soils with deep soils belonging to the Batonian period. In the vineyard herbicides and chemical products are banned, a "natural" viticulture is practiced. The harvest is manual, with selection of the best grapes; the vinification is traditional, with the use of indigenous yeasts and fermentation in steel in open vats at a controlled temperature (32 ° C). The wine is raised in new barriques for 25% of the mass, in used barriques for the remaining 75% for a total duration of 18 months.

Climate

The first quarter of 2017 was characterized by a cold and dry winter. January, just as winter as December, has temperatures below normal, close to 0 ° C. The frost has enveloped the vine for several weeks. With no snow or significant rainfall, this start of the season has a water deficit of over 70 mm. Temperatures will soften over the weeks, but the lack of water was of concern. Mid-March marks the twilight of winter, with rising temperatures and rapid, early bud break. The swelling of the bud is observed around March 20, some plots even reveal the bud in the cotton: a prelude to the beginning of the year. The first leaves are present from 6 April in Vosne Romanée, temperatures then approach 25 ° C. For the whole month the sun will bring temperatures above normal. In the second half of April the climatic conditions turn to cold with the fear of night frosts. From 27 to 29 April at dawn in each village, candles, straw fires, branches and braziers are lit. A thick veil of smoke covers the coast to protect the budding branches from the first rays of the sun. Fortunately, the disaster was averted, but the low temperatures significantly slowed down the vegetative development for almost 3 weeks. A significant increase in temperatures during the second half of May leads to lightning-fast growth. Flowering is reached at the end of May in just three days. Excessive temperatures, which approach 39 ° C on June 21, cause very rapid growth of the berries, some sunburn and the onset of water stress. Cluster closure phase is reached on 30 June in Côte de Nuits. The rains and heat will alternate throughout the month of July, the development of berries and twigs have continued at a rapid pace and the onset of veraison was observed on 31 July. August brings heat and drought. The sugars progress very quickly but there is still no phenolic maturity, a consequence of a climate that is too dry. Since nature knows how to balance things well, the long-awaited rains finally arrive in the last days of August and bring the balance that was missing. The ripening will thus end peacefully and perfectly until the first ten days of September.

Tasting Notes

Ruby. The nose is expressed with hints of berries, notes of peony and tones of pink pepper and oriental spices. On the palate it is juicy, with a good structure, rich and consistent with the nose. Balanced. 

Aging Capacity

Wine with excellent aging potential.

Small Tips

Taste it at a temperature of 16 ° C, paired with game dishes.

Data sheet

Winery
Domaine Ami
Denomination
AOC Volnay
Variety
100% Pinot Nero
Nation
France
Production area
Volnay
Region
Burgundy
Year
2017
Gradation
13,0%
Bottle
75 cl
In Vineyard
Certified Organic Agriculture
Vinification
fermentation in steel in open vats at a controlled temperature (32 ° C)
Yeast
Indigenous
Aging
in new barriques for 25% of the mass, in used barriques for the remaining 75% for a total duration of 18 months
Match with
Meats
Typology
Red
Serving Temperature
Temperatura 16°C.
Annual Bottles Produced
About 820
Ideal consumption
From 2021 to 2038
Our judgment
92/100 Very Big Wine
Allergens
Sulphites

Related products

(16 other products in the same category)